I did a lot of work today. After all the stuff I did today I'm ready to finish my beer and go to bed.
First of all; I set up the bottling equipment, readied the priming sugar and Annette and I bottled the Irish Red I had fermenting. I came out with forty-nine 12oz bottles. We didn't run into much trouble besides the normal mess. Oh, my bottle filler didn't want to stop flowing so I made a mess of beer on the floor a couple times. After that I decided to crimp the racking cane instead of relying on the cheap bottle filler to work. During the bottle filling I started seeping the grains for the Porter. The grain bag they sent me was..I don't know how to explain it..It probably could hold about an eighth of the grains I needed to steep, so I got two socks of pantyhose and used them to seep the grains instead, I wont be ordering from them anymore. We finished bottling without much of a problem, so I'm happy about that, only about 3 weeks till I can drink the Irish Red! Hit me up if you want a sample.
Back to the Oatmeal Porter. I did pretty good I think, almost had a boil over about three times but overall I think it went by pretty smoothly. The steeping came out nice and dark, I actually used LME (liquid malt extract) AND DME (dry malt extract) this time, as opposed to just LME. The ingredients all smelled and tasted delicious.
The original gravity came out to around 1.046 but I don't trust that considering I haven't figured out how to take into account the amount of extra water you put into the wort to top it off.
I found a local homebrew supplier downtown, pretty cool place on palm and olive. I will be getting the rest of my supplies and ingredients from them from now on to avoid shipping costs. Those shipping costs are more than I've been paying for the supplies themselves! I'll try to find a recipe for my next beer and get the ingredients from them next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment