Sunday, April 3, 2011

Raspberry Wheat, Oatmeal Porter and Pale Ale..Lots to talk about!

Ok so I'm nearly a month late posting but have been real busy. The baby has been keeping me busy the last couple weeks since Annette has been working more. However, I have been keeping hard at work brewing, just not writing about it! A lot has happened since my last post and I will talk about it all in a few, to summarize I have about 90 bottled beers, 5 gallons in the fermenter and all my Irish Red is gone. Blame Russo, Jay and Leanzo for that..Ok I guess I helped too.

The alcohol content in the Red was staggering, this is by far my best brew yet. I guarantee I will use this same recipe in the future so everyone who didn't get a taste will get one eventually, it tasted amazing.

As for the Raspberry Wheat that's bottled (Jay helped bottle this one); I tested it at about a week last Wednesday and it's still got some carbonating to do. I have had a couple compliments on it thus far, but I think next time I make a fruit flavored beer it will be with real fruit with secondary fermentation, not fruit extract with artificial flavors. I wish I remember the alcohol content of this brew, I should have wrote it down!

I bottled the Oatmeal Porter on Wednesday March 30th. The only unfortunate thing about this batch is I tested the ABV before bottling and it was only at about 4.76% or around, not terrible I suppose but I was expecting a little more than that. I tasted the sample before bottling and it has nice roasted chocolate/coffee taste to it and I can't wait to taste it when it comes out. Oh and Heather, I know I told you I'd make a stout for you to try and I will eventually, but for now I'm going to save some of this porter especially for you to try, sorry you didn't try the Irish red though, you would have loved it.

The last batch I brewed is fermenting right now, I started it on Friday April 1st. It's a Pale Ale with a recipe similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Unfortunately it's still by extract but hopefully my next batch will be all grain, I just have to get the money for supplies to make the equipment I'm missing. The starting volume of the batch was at about 1.058 and since the weather is getting a little warmer my fermentation temperature is too, meaning a faster fermentation. I'm going to have to think about getting a thermostat for my garage refrigerator soon so I can continue brewing into the summer.

Anyone who hasn't tried my brew yet and would like to, hit me up on facebook or email (ultimahitzu@gmail.com, or just comment on this blog post. I don't have the capability to share every batch with everyone and if I did I wouldn't have any for myself so you gotta speak up! I won't forget about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment